Sunday, October 2, 2011

Cozumel Mexico




We arrived in Mexico and I was just like a kid. I was so excited to go to Mexico! I have always wanted to go to Mexico. I love the culture and the people, and of course the food and music! When we first got there it really did not feel like we had just arrived in a different country. It was so pretty and beautiful it felt like we were at Disney Epcot. We don't know what it was exactly that made it feel that way, but it was really hard to wrap our minds around the fact that we really were in Mexico! We did book an excursion there. Our excursion was kind of like a sight seeing tour that included a Mayan Temple, shopping, a tour of how Tequila is made, and a museum. Our tour guide was named Cesar and he spoke really good English as did most of the natives there. We loaded up on the bus and off we went! After getting into the city we realized how poorly people lived and it broke our hearts. No air conditioning, the stores didn't really have doors, it was just out in the open. All the store signs were painted on the buildings. There were no Neon lights that said open like we have here. I don't even think homes had basic things, like TV, computers, washer/dryer. It really opened my eyes to how blessed we are.
They took us downtown as part of the shopping tour and left us there for about an hour. We were all excited to go explore but the moment we stepped off the bus people started flocking to all of us. They were all desperate for us to come shop in their stores. We were not used to all of the attention and it made us really uneasy and all we wanted to do was to get out of there. It was so sad, that they were so desperate for money they were begging and some of them harassing us to come inside. They negotiated everything so if you said one price and they said no, a few seconds later they would change their minds and give you the price you wanted. We were their only source of income and we were told it was low season so they don't get a lot of people coming through. It wasn't a horrible experience but we were just not used to feeling like that. It kind of felt like we were rock stars and everyone else was paparazzi or wanting autographs. Everyone wanted your attention. One guy begged us to come shop in his store and told us he would turn on the Mexican air conditioning for us. We came in and he plugged in a fan. It was really sweet, because it was sooooo incredibly hot there. I don't see how people can live without air. After going to a few shops we decided to get away from there and go wait for our bus. We had enough of being celebrities. But our time there was so much fun. I would love to go back there again, the people were amazing, and all the sights were just beautiful.

We decided that we can't come to Mexico and not eat Mexican Food. We ended up going to a place called The Three Amigos restaurant. It is named after the movie. It was right on the water so we sat outside and enjoyed the scenery. We had 3 Amigos come over to sing us a song. We had fresh Salsa that was so incredible! Our tour of the island was great. I really loved our excursion, we got to see the beautiful ocean, people on the side of the streets were cutting these HUGE coconuts and making them into drinks, we liked going to the Tequila farm/store. I have never seen blue and colorful tequila nor tequila that had a worm in it until i went there. Eww! But it was fun. We saw a few donkey's. one was near the Mayan temple we went to, just out and about. And the other was in someones front yard. I got a kick out of seeing that up close and personal. But the most thing I loved were the people there. They were just amazing, sweet, and humble. I didn't want to leave, but I hope to go back some day! If you ever get a chance to go, you should absolutely go! It was phenomenal and gorgeous. One of the first things Kim and I did after we got back to the states was go out for more Mexican food and talked about our trip! I ended up with a few little vases and trinkets all hand painted in those bright Mexican Colors. I love that!

No comments:

Post a Comment