Friday, January 7, 2011

New Hobby




Ryan and I have found a new hobby. We have fallen in love with going "antiquing." It has become a new weekend tradition. It started when I told Ryan I would like to have an antique tea set. I have always loved the older classy look of things. Kind of like how things looked during the civil war era. He found my tea set dirt cheap, so we decided to go the next week just to look around some shops in the nearby town that is about 3 miles up the road in a very artsy area. Something about going antiquing is that it is very relaxing to just go and rummage through history and to look at the beauty of how things used to look. Something about looking at things from the past make me think about how life would have been for people who lived in the 20's and 30's. To think about the table they would have set for their dinner guests, or how they entertained parties and get togethers. I like thinking about things like that and how people lived their lives.

The even better part of going is that you can find super duper deals! I budget about $20 a week for my lunch money, but I started to save that money so I could go buy new treasures. I showed my mom some of our finds and so she started going too! She even bought a lot of our Christmas gifts from Antique shops. Not only can you find old things but a lot of new things as well. Some vendors will buy new things at yard sales to sale at their booths for little of nothing. One of the first things I really wanted was an antique mirror tray to put my perfumes on. I found one for only $1.49. I am starting to collect old perfume bottles with the little pump on the end. They are hard to find, and some of them can get expensive. I thought I would promote antiques since we have had so much fun and success with going treasure hunting on the weekends. Ryan and I tease each other that our next hobby will consist of metal detectors searching for "beach treasures" that the tourists leave behind. Here are a few pics of cheap finds.. A Tiffany lamp $15, a case for my tea cups $8, my wicker vanity, and a few jewelry stands $9!!

My vanity

Perfume Tray and Perfume bottles
Jewelry StandsTea cup case $8


3 comments:

  1. Antiquing is so much fun! Never know what you will find. You got some great buys! Luvz ya! Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love antiquing too! You just never know what you are going to find when you go!!! I love all of your new things! You got some great deals!!!

    ReplyDelete